This upcoming Monday, September 20th starting at 7pm, Mayor Gary has a Rematriation Resolution on the City Council agenda for the City of Albany. We are excited to partner with the Mayor on this Resolution in support of Rematriation in Albany.
Please join us at the Albany City Council meeting this Monday, September 20th at 7pm.
Our Co-Founder/Director Corrina Gould will make a short presentation on the Lisjan Ohlone history of Albany before the Council discusses and votes on the Resolution. If passed, the Resolution will launch several Rematriation initiatives in Albany including:
- Recognizing the Confederated Villages of Lisjan (Ohlone) as one of the original peoples of this land; and
- Directing the Parks, Recreation & Open Space Commission to work with the Sogorea Te’ Land Trust to analyze parcels within City boundaries and develop a joint plan to rematriate appropriate public lands and open spaces back to the Confederated Villages of Lisjan in perpetuity through the Sogorea Te’ Land Trust; and
- Urging the Albany School District and the Albany Library to create a committee to undertake a thorough evaluation of their curriculum, programs and events to ensure that they are accurate and inclusive of the history and resiliency of the Lisjan people; and
- Directing the creation of signage on Solano Avenue and other City signs that acknowledge that Albany is on Ohlone land; and
- Directing City staff to draft, in consultation with the Confederated Villages of Lisjan, a land acknowledgement to be formally adopted and read at the beginning of City Council meetings and all other City board and commission meetings (Albany would be the FIRST city in Lisjan territory to adopt this); and
- Establishing a two member subcommittee, in consultation with the Sogorea Te’ Land Trust, to prepare a budget proposal for the City to formally incorporate annual payment of the Shuumi Land Tax.
Please join us at this upcoming meeting to provide public comment in support of this resolution!
For information on how to join this meeting, visit this link and download the agenda. The agenda for the September 20, 2021 City Council meeting has live links and further information. If you cannot make this meeting, but would like to send in public comment about it beforehand:
- Please be sure it’s received prior to 12 noon of the Council Meeting day to ensure your communication is included as part of the agenda record.
- Email all city council member with one email address: firstname.lastname@example.org
- You can read the full text of the Resolution here as well as the supporting Memorandum.
Rematriate the Land! Thank you!